Can open spina bifida be prevented?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

The best way to reduce the risk of your baby developing the defect is to make sure you are getting enough folic acid (also called folate or vitamin B-9), not just during pregnancy, but also before. This is because folic acid can take a while to get absorbed into the system. You can get folic acid through certain foods like dark green vegetables, egg yolks, beans, and citrus fruits are naturally high in folic acid. Other foods, particularly breakfast cereals, are now fortified with extra folic acid. Nevertheless, doctors recommend women of childbearing age make sure they're taking 0.4 milligrams of folic acid a day, even if they're not planning on getting pregnant. This total should be significantly higher, in the neighborhood of 4 milligrams, for women with a history of spina bifida or tubal disorders in their families or diabetic women planning on getting pregnant in the next month.

Continue Learning about Spina Bifida

If I have spina bifida, should I avoid having children?
Most sensory-related developmental disorders cannot be predicted.  However, some sensory-related dev...
If my first child has spina bifida, how do I prevent it in my next baby?
Dr. Diana K. Blythe, MDDr. Diana K. Blythe, MD
In order to better your chances of preventing spina bifida in a second child, make sure to take your...
What research is being done on spina bifida?
Currently, a great deal of research is being conducted to learn more about spina bifida, what causes...
Is spina bifida serious?
 The seriousness of spina bifida depends on the severity of the spine defect and related nerve damag...