Can my diet help me prevent spina bifida?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

If you or your unborn child already have spina bifida, there is no cure for the disorder. However, if you are pregnant, your nutritional choices can help you decrease the risk for spina bifida in your developing child. Spina bifida is associated with an insufficient amount of folic acid. Eating foods that contain folic acid, like dark vegetables, egg yolks, fruits, and enriched foods, can help you prevent the disorder. Taking a supplement of folic acid is also recommended.

Continue Learning about Spina Bifida

What is spina bifida?
Spina bifida, meaning "cleft spine," is a birth defect that occurs when the neural tube does not clo...
If I have spina bifida, should I avoid having children?
Most sensory-related developmental disorders cannot be predicted.  However, some sensory-related dev...
What is open spina bifida?
Open spina bifida is the less common version of the birth defect spina bifida, also known as cleft s...
How can my family prepare for a child with spina bifida?
Spina bifida affects the entire family. Meeting the complex needs of a person affected by spina bifi...