Can my diet help me prevent spina bifida?

If you or your unborn child already have spina bifida, there is no cure for the disorder. However, if you are pregnant, your nutritional choices can help you decrease the risk for spina bifida in your developing child. Spina bifida is associated with an insufficient amount of folic acid. Eating foods that contain folic acid, like dark vegetables, egg yolks, fruits, and enriched foods, can help you prevent the disorder. Taking a supplement of folic acid is also recommended.

Continue Learning about Spina Bifida

What is spina bifida?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
There are three types of congenital abnormalities that often are called spina bifida: True spina...
What is spina bifida?
Does spina bifida ever go unnoticed?
In most cases, spina bifida will be noticed and diagnosed by a doctor before or shortly after birth....
How can I get my child with spina bifida involved in his own medical care?
As people with spina bifida mature, they will perform more and more activities themselves. They migh...