Will cutting gluten out of my diet make me healthier?

Cutting gluten out of your diet is not necessary for health if you do not have celiac disease, or a sensitivity to gluten. If you have celiac disease avoiding gluten is necessary and will make you healthier. In many cases people who do not have celiac disease but stop eating gluten report improved health and many times it is due to replacing those foods with healthier options. If you are concerned about celiac disease make sure you talk with your healthcare provider.
Cutting gluten out of your diet will not necessarily make you healthier. Many people associate eating gluten-free diets with losing weight and being healthier. But most of these sentiments are rooted in myths and misconceptions. For most people, a gluten-free diet can lack the proper vitamins, minerals, and fiber recommended for overall health.

Ingestion of gluten in individuals diagnosed with celiac disease can cause an adverse reaction, which can damage intestinal cells and can lead to potentially serious health problems. But for everyone else -- the vast majority of the population -- gluten should not be such a concern that it alters already well-grounded nutritious habits.

Continue Learning about Special Diets

The Truth About Radon Testing and Fad Diets
Q: What is radon? We’re looking to buy a house and hear I should know about it. — Jeremy K., Minneapolis, MN A: You heard right, Jeremy. Radon is a n...
How does a low salt diet affect sense of taste?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
When you get rid of the salt habit, your food may taste bland for a few weeks, but you will find tha...
What meat and dairy products can I eat on the FODMAP elimination diet?
Patsy CatsosPatsy Catsos
The FODMAPS elimination diet is based on limiting "FODMAPS" in the diet. FODMAPS stands for Fermenta...
How Effective Is the HCG Diet for Weight Loss?