Why should I avoid eating a large amount of beans on a FODMAP challenge?

Patsy Catsos
The FODMAPS elimination diet is based on limiting "FODMAPS" in the diet. FODMAPS stands for Fermentable Oligo-, Di- and Mono-saccharides And Polyols. Specifically, some of the dietary carbohydrates described by the term FODMAPS are lactose, fructose, fructans, polyols and galactans. These are sugars, starches and fibers in food that some people cannot fully digest and absorb. A FODMAPS diet challenge involves challenging yourself with each class of FODMAPS carbohydrates.

Do not consume dried peas, beans or lentils multiple times a day for the FODMAPS diet challenge. There is no need to do this because you are guaranteed to malabsorb galactans (complex carbohydrates found in beans and some vegetables). Use smaller, more cautious amounts of high-galactans foods to explore how much of them you can tolerate without provoking symptoms. Some people find that their tolerance for galactans does improve over time with continued exposure to small and then gradually larger portions of food.
IBS: Free at Last! Change Your Carbs, Change Your Life with the FODMAP Elimination Diet, 2nd Edition

IBS should not make you skip a beat—get your groove back! Tired of missing the fun because of your irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)? Confused about what to eat? Think you’re the only one who feels...

Continue Learning about Special Diets

Vegan Diet Deficiencies
Vegan Diet Deficiencies
When two-time Grammy winner Jason Mraz sings I Won’t Give Up, he might be crooning about his steadfast commitment to a vegan lifestyle. He grows flats...
Can the acid/alkaline diet be maintained long term?
dotFITdotFIT
From a health standpoint, if you are getting all your necessary nutrients from the allowed foods and...
How can I limit my protein intake when eating out and on a kidney diet?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
If your doctor has told you to limit protein in your diet, it is helpful to become familiar with dif...
How Effective Is the HCG Diet for Weight Loss?