Who is the FODMAP elimination diet safe for?

Patsy Catsos
The FODMAPS elimination diet is based on limiting "FODMAPS" in the diet. FODMAPS stands for Fermentable Oligo-, Di- and Mono-saccharides And Polyols. Specifically, some of the dietary carbohydrates described by the term FODMAPS are lactose, fructose, fructans, polyols and galactans. These are sugars, starches and fibers in food that some people cannot fully digest and absorb.

While the diet should be safe for most individuals, there are some situations that require modification of the diet. Please consult a registered dietitian for assistance if you have:
  • Hereditary Fructose Intolerance (HFI)
  • Food allergies
  • Been diagnosed with any medical conditions that have special dietary needs or that require the use of prescription medications
IBS: Free at Last! Change Your Carbs, Change Your Life with the FODMAP Elimination Diet, 2nd Edition

IBS should not make you skip a beat—get your groove back! Tired of missing the fun because of your irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)? Confused about what to eat? Think you’re the only one who feels...

Continue Learning about Special Diets

Boost Your Brain Health: The MIND Diet
Boost Your Brain Health: The MIND Diet
Craig Breslow, dubbed “the smartest man in baseball,” pitched for seven MLB teams, including the Cleveland Indians in 2008. That was after he attended...
What should I know before I try a raw food diet?
Rose ReismanRose Reisman
The raw food diet originating in the 70’s is making a comeback in gourmet restaurants, upscale food ...
What entrees can I order when eating out and on a kidney diet?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Most restaurant entrees are prepared with salt. If you are eating out and on a kidney diet, ask that...
Do Probiotics Have Any Side Effects?
Do Probiotics Have Any Side Effects?