What is the Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes (TLC) diet?

Developed at the National Institute of Health (NIH), the Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes (TLC) diet focuses on lowering saturated fat and cholesterol to help to reduce the risk of heart disease, heart attack, and other heart complications. You decide with your doctor, dietician or nutritionist the appropriate number of calories per day you should be consuming. You then follow guidelines including:
  • Less than 7 percent of the day's total calories from saturated fat
  • 25-35 percent of the day’s total calories from fat
  • Less than 200 milligrams of dietary cholesterol a day
  • Limit sodium intake to 2400 milligrams a day
  • Just enough calories to achieve or maintain a healthy weight and reduce your blood cholesterol level
You may also be instructed to increase specific fiber goals by focusing on fruits, vegetables and certain grain foods. You can personalize this diet.

Continue Learning about Special Diets

What entrees can I order when eating out and on a kidney diet?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Most restaurant entrees are prepared with salt. If you are eating out and on a kidney diet, ask that...
What sweets should I avoid on the FODMAP elimination diet?
Patsy CatsosPatsy Catsos
The FODMAPS elimination diet is based on limiting "FODMAPS" in the diet. FODMAPS stands for Fermenta...
What can I eat at an Italian restaurant if I'm on a kidney diet?
If you're on a kidney diet, typically, Italian sauces should be used in small quantities because the...
Are Probiotics a New Treatment for Irritable Bowel Syndrome?