The FODMAPS elimination diet is based on limiting "FODMAPS" in the diet. FODMAPS stands for Fermentable Oligo-, Di- and Mono-saccharides And Polyols. Specifically, some of the dietary carbohydrates described by the term FODMAPS are lactose, fructose, fructans, polyols and galactans. These are sugars, starches and fibers in food that some people cannot fully digest and absorb.
Even allowed sweets must be limited in quantity on the basic diet, with a suggested maximum of 40 grams of total sugar per serving. Some sweets contain polyols and are not allowed on the basic diet. Some sweets contain excess fructose and are not allowed on the basic diet. Sweets made with wheat flour, spelt or kamut contain fructans and are not allowed on the basic diet.
Please read labels carefully and avoid the following sweet products:
- Fructose, crystalline fructose, high-fructose corn syrup or corn syrup solids (check soft drinks/soda pop and other beverages, drink mixes, pancake syrup)
- Molasses or brown sugar (check gums, candies, beverages, energy or snack bars, cookies)
- Spelt, kamut or wheat flour in any form (check cakes, cookies, muffins, pastries)
- Sweet alcoholic drinks such as margaritas, piña coladas, sweet martinis, sours and tropicals
- Non-Lactaid ice cream
- Sorbitol, polydextrose, mannitol, isomalt, xylitol, maltitol, erythritol, lactitol or hydrogenated starch hydrolysates (check liquid medications, flavored seltzer water and other beverages, gum, candy, nutrition and supplement bars)
- Inulin (check snack or energy bars, frozen desserts)
- Guar gum (check dressings, sauces, ice cream)
- Fructo-oligosaccharides/FOS (check low-fat cookies, granola bars, energy bars)
- Polydextrose (check frozen desserts)
Find out more about this book:IBS: Free at Last! Change Your Carbs, Change Your Life with the FODMAP Elimination Diet, 2nd Edition