What meat and meat substitutes can I have on a renal failure diet?

Cathy Silva

Lean beef, chicken, eggs and fish can be eaten by someone with renal failure. Pre-dialysis the amount needs to be limited. When choosing meat, avoid processed meats that are high in sodium and enhanced meats products. Enhanced meats have a phosphorus additive that is 100% absorbable by the body. As kidney failure progresses, the body cannot rid itself of excess phosphorus. High phosphorus levels cause calcification in the body.

Continue Learning about Special Diets

News: The Keto Diet Promises Big Weight Loss, But Is It Safe?
Are you willing to cut carbs and load up on fat to lose weight, elevate your mood and boost energy levels? That’s the promise of the keto (short for “...
What can I eat at an Asian restaurant if I'm on a kidney diet?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Asian dishes usually consist of meat, fish or poultry combined with fresh vegetables. This can make ...
What are the benefits of part-time diets?
It's a dieter's dream: you don't have to restrict calories or carbs every day to see results! Eat fe...
How Do I Treat Gas and Bloating If I Have Irritable Bowel Syndrome?