What is the macrobiotic diet?

Marisa Moore
The macrobiotic diet is a strict almost vegetarian diet with no meat, dairy or processed foods. Food choices are primarily grains, beans and vegetables with fruits, nuts and seeds eaten less often. It’s “almost” vegetarian because certain types of fish are permitted.

Because of the strict rules involved with the macrobiotic diet, without supplementation dieters may become deficient in essential nutrients. Macrobiotic principles require those following this diet prepare and chew food in a specific manner. This may also be a major lifestyle change. Research supporting its efficacy in treating cancer and some other ailments is limited at best.

Most people can benefit from adding more vegetables to the diet. However, you need to maintain a balanced and healthy overall diet.

Continue Learning about Special Diets

How can I start eating a low-sodium diet?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
A low-sodium diet generally means you should consume no more than 1,500 milligrams of sodium per day...
What can I eat at an American restaurant if I'm on a kidney diet?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
The key to successful dining out in an American restaurant is watching portion sizes. Be mindful to ...
What is a low-fiber diet?
Marjorie Nolan CohnMarjorie Nolan Cohn
A low-fiber diet means you eat foods that do not have a lot of fiber. A diet that is low in fiber ha...
What kinds of beverages are not part of a clear liquid diet?
Items that are not part of a clear liquid diet include:MilkOrange juicePrune JuiceColasApplesaucePud...