What is a diabetic diet?

Ruth Frechman
A diabetic diet controls the amount of carbohydrates consumed. For the average women, eating three carbohydrates a meal will control blood sugar. It's not so much what you eat, as it is how much you eat. Seeing a registered dietitian is the best way to understand how to incorporate the right amounts of protein, fat, and carbohydrate in your diet.
Jessica Crandall
A diabetic diet focuses on the amount of carbohydrates consumed. Due to the insufficient use of insulin, a diabetic must monitor their carbohydrate intake to prevent damage to the body. Meet with a registered dietitian to make a plan following a proper diabetic diet. 
There is no such thing as a diabetes (diabetic) diet. No foods are completely off limits for most people. Gone are the days when the only rule for people with diabetes was to avoid sugar. Now, it's more about eating foods that help you maintain steady blood sugar levels and lower your risk for heart disease and other illnesses that are more likely to occur if you have diabetes. Essentially, focus on moderation, eating plenty of fruits and vegetables and keeping track of your carbohydrates.

That doesn't mean you can eat everything in sight and still stay healthy. There are foods and ways to prepare them that will help keep your diabetes symptoms under control and will help lower your risk of cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, certain cancers and other ailments for which you are at higher risk as someone with diabetes.

The main thing to remember with diabetes is carbohydrate control. Your total daily intake of carbohydrates should be at least 130 grams (g) per day, ideally 40% to 45% of your total caloric intake. If you regularly take medication or insulin for your diabetes, it's helpful to maintain meal-to-meal consistency in distributing your carbohydrates throughout the day.

Continue Learning about Special Diets

How a Vegetarian Diet Can Affect Your Mental Health
In My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Toula brings her non-Greek fiance Ian to a family get-together, hoping her tight-knit clan will accept him. When Aunt Vou...
Can I skip my phosphate binders if I'm eating out and on a kidney diet?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Eating out is a great way to take a break from cooking if you are on a kidney diet; however, it shou...
How can a gluten-free diet help me lose weight?
Amy JonesAmy Jones
It depends very much on the reason you are choosing to follow the gluten-free diet. Are you diagnose...
How Do I Treat Gas and Bloating If I Have Irritable Bowel Syndrome?