What is a vegan diet?

Vandana  R. Sheth
A vegan diet is one that is strictly plant-based and one that does not include any animal products (excludes eggs, dairy, poultry, fish, meat). 
Those who abstain from all animal products, including milk, cheese and eggs, are called pure vegetarians or vegans. The word vegan is a contraction of the word vegetarian, and was first coined in the UK during the 1940s. People may choose to become vegan to protect the rights of animals, or for environmental, spiritual, or health reasons. Raw, organic fruits and vegetables are a large part of the vegan diet, and a good juicer is found frequently in vegan kitchens.

Continue Learning about Special Diets

What kind of fruits are part of a renal failure diet?
Cathy SilvaCathy Silva
Fruits are restricted on a renal failure diet because of their potassium content. Therefore, fruits ...
What are the health benefits of a living food diet?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
In a study published in the journal, Toxicology, researchers sought to see if a living food (LF) die...
How do I follow an alkaline diet?
Curious about an alkaline diet? Watch as I join Dr. Oz to discuss how exactly to follow the alkaline...
What fruit can I eat on the FODMAP elimination diet?
Patsy CatsosPatsy Catsos
The FODMAPS elimination diet is based on limiting "FODMAPS" in the diet. FODMAPS stands for Fermenta...