What is a vegan diet?

A vegan diet is one that does not include any animal products (meat, poultry, fish, dairy cheese, eggs, etc.) and is plant based. If a food has a mother or a face, or comes from something that has a mother or a face, then it's not vegan. A healthy vegan diet is one that is based on whole foods (vegetables, fruits, legumes and whole grains), rather than refined processed foods. 
Vandana  R. Sheth
A vegan diet is one that is strictly plant-based and one that does not include any animal products (excludes eggs, dairy, poultry, fish, meat). 
Those who abstain from all animal products, including milk, cheese and eggs, are called pure vegetarians or vegans. The word vegan is a contraction of the word vegetarian, and was first coined in the UK during the 1940s. People may choose to become vegan to protect the rights of animals, or for environmental, spiritual, or health reasons. Raw, organic fruits and vegetables are a large part of the vegan diet, and a good juicer is found frequently in vegan kitchens.

Continue Learning about Special Diets

A Vegetarian Diet’s Hidden Gifts and Super Traps
If you think switching to a no-meat diet will take pounds off quicker than Gypsy Rose Lee shed her costume (about which she said -- “I wasn’t naked, I...
What ingredients should I avoid on the FODMAP elimination diet?
Patsy CatsosPatsy Catsos
The FODMAPS elimination diet is based on limiting "FODMAPS" in the diet. FODMAPS stands for Fermenta...
How effective is the HCG diet for weight loss?
Craig B. Primack, MDCraig B. Primack, MD
Bariatric medicine specialist Dr. Craig Primack discusses how effective the HCG diet is for weig...
How Is Irritable Bowel Syndrome Treated?