What is a vegan?

Someone who follows a vegan diet does not eat any food that comes from an animal in any form. In practical terms, it means they eat fruits, vegetables, legumes, grains, seeds and nuts. They do not eat animal flesh, or the product of animals, (i.e. dairy, cheese, milk, eggs, butter, cream). A vegan in general can be a more political term and might mean someone who avoids any products that come from animals, including leather goods, fur, wool etc.

Vandana  R. Sheth
A vegan diet is the strictest form of vegetarian diets. It is one that is plant-based and excludes all animal products including dairy and eggs. A vegan diet includes whole grains, lean plant-based proteins such as beans, lentils, tofu, nuts, seeds, heart-healthy fats, fruits and vegetables. Before you transition to a vegan diet it would be a good idea to consult with a registered dietitian specializing in vegetarian nutrition to better assess your needs and help you adequately plan/meet your nutritional needs.

Continue Learning about Special Diets

Vegan Diet Deficiencies
Vegan Diet Deficiencies
When two-time Grammy winner Jason Mraz sings I Won’t Give Up, he might be crooning about his steadfast commitment to a vegan lifestyle. He grows flats...
How can an elimination diet help reduce pain?
Howard S. SmithHoward S. Smith
There is increasing proof that an elimination diet is most helpful in isolating and identifying pain...
How do I follow an alkaline diet?
Curious about an alkaline diet? Watch as I join Dr. Oz to discuss how exactly to follow the alkaline...
How Is Irritable Bowel Syndrome Treated?