What desserts can I order when eating out and on a kidney diet?

By following your kidney diet closely you will be able to enjoy desserts and treat yourself once in a while. If you have been advised to add calories to your diet then the dessert course is a good time to treat yourself to something special. However, if you are diabetic or trying to lose weight then you should be careful not to eat high-calorie desserts. Check with your dietitian about which desserts you should choose based on your individual nutrition needs.

Choose:
  • Canned or allowed fresh fruit
  • Sherbet and sorbet
  • Plain cookies and cakes
  • Fruit pies with allowed fruits
  • Gelatin
  • Strawberry shortcake
Avoid:
  • Desserts containing chocolate, nuts, coconut or dried fruit
  • Cheesecake
  • Custard and puddings
  • High-potassium fresh fruits
  • Pies such as cream, minced, pumpkin, rhubarb and pecan
  • Ice cream

Continue Learning about Special Diets

What wheat ingredients can I eat on the FODMAP elimination diet?
Patsy CatsosPatsy Catsos
The FODMAPS elimination diet is based on limiting "FODMAPS" in the diet. FODMAPS stands for Fermenta...
What can I eat at an Italian restaurant if I'm on a kidney diet?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
If you're on a kidney diet, typically, Italian sauces should be used in small quantities because the...
Do I need to plan ahead if I want to eat out and am on a special diet?
Always try to follow your diet as closely as possible. Plan ahead. Ask your dietitian for advice bef...
What are the risks of being on a renal failure diet?
Cathy SilvaCathy Silva
The renal diet is designed to compensate for the lack of kidney function. The risk of not following ...