What desserts can I order when eating out and on a kidney diet?

By following your kidney diet closely you will be able to enjoy desserts and treat yourself once in a while. If you have been advised to add calories to your diet then the dessert course is a good time to treat yourself to something special. However, if you are diabetic or trying to lose weight then you should be careful not to eat high-calorie desserts. Check with your dietitian about which desserts you should choose based on your individual nutrition needs.

Choose:
  • Canned or allowed fresh fruit
  • Sherbet and sorbet
  • Plain cookies and cakes
  • Fruit pies with allowed fruits
  • Gelatin
  • Strawberry shortcake
Avoid:
  • Desserts containing chocolate, nuts, coconut or dried fruit
  • Cheesecake
  • Custard and puddings
  • High-potassium fresh fruits
  • Pies such as cream, minced, pumpkin, rhubarb and pecan
  • Ice cream

Continue Learning about Special Diets

Why So Many People Are Going Gluten-Free—Should You?
If you've ever polished off a fresh baguette or fought over that last slice of deep-dish pizza, you've eaten gluten. It's the healthy plant protein fo...
What are the health benefits of a living food diet?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
In a study published in the journal, Toxicology, researchers sought to see if a living food (LF) die...
How effective is the HCG diet for weight loss?
Craig B. Primack, MDCraig B. Primack, MD
Bariatric medicine specialist Dr. Craig Primack discusses how effective the HCG diet is for weig...
How Do I Treat Gas and Bloating If I Have Irritable Bowel Syndrome?