What are the pros and cons of a vegan diet?

Vandana  R. Sheth
Pros: Vegan diets are typically high in fiber, low/no cholesterol. Research studies have found that vegetarians especially vegans have lower BMI, lower levels of cholesterol, lower risk of heart disease, lower risk for developing certain kinds of cancer and in prevention/management of diabetes.

Cons: As long as it is well-balanced and varied, a vegan diet can adequately meet nutritional needs of individuals at all stages of life. This said, a few nutrients of concern can be: vitamin B12, iron, protein, calcium, vitamin D, omega 3 fats. However, all of these nutrients can be adequately found and enjoyed on a vegan diet.

Continue Learning about Special Diets

Flex Your Flexitarian Muscles
Flex Your Flexitarian Muscles
Worldwide, vegetarians overwhelmingly outnumber meat-eaters! According to a study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, around 4 billion folk...
How Is Irritable Bowel Syndrome Treated?
How Do I Treat Gas and Bloating If I Have Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
Are Probiotics a New Treatment for Irritable Bowel Syndrome?