Is a gluten-free diet safe if I don't have celiac disease?

A gluten-free diet is safe even if you have not been diagnosed with celiac disease. Some non-celiac disease intestinal disorders, like irritable bowel syndrome, can respond to a gluten-free diet. Just because your symptoms improve on the diet doesn't mean you have celiac disease. Diagnosis of celiac disease is by antibody tests and a small bowel biopsy.
A gluten-free diet can result in certain nutrient deficiencies and is therefore only recommended for people with celiac disease or other gluten-related disorders.

If you think gluten is a problem for you, you should consult your doctor as soon as possible to find a diagnosis before starting a gluten-free diet. Once on a gluten-free diet, it becomes more difficult to diagnose or rule out celiac disease.

Continue Learning about Special Diets

The Keto Diet Promises Big Weight Loss, But Is It Safe?
Are you willing to cut carbs and load up on fat to lose weight, elevate your mood and boost energy levels? That’s the promise of the keto (short for “...
What should I know before I try a low salt diet?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
Our bodies do need a small amount of salt but we tend to overdo it. Eating too much salt can affect ...
How can vegetarians and vegans follow the FODMAP elimination diet?
Patsy CatsosPatsy Catsos
The FODMAPS elimination diet is based on limiting "FODMAPS" in the diet. FODMAPS stands for Fermenta...
Do Probiotics Have Any Side Effects?
Do Probiotics Have Any Side Effects?