Is the FODMAP elimination diet for weight loss?

William Dierenfeldt, MD
Gastroenterology
No, the FODMAP elimination diet is not meant for weight loss.

Research studies have shown that limiting foods that are high in FODMAPs will improve the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. In addition, there is some research to suggest that people with Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis may also benefit from the low FODMAP approach.

If you have IBS and are interested in losing weight, I would recommend consulting with a dietician who is also familiar with the low FODMAP approach.
Patsy Catsos
The FODMAPS elimination diet is based on limiting "FODMAPS" in the diet. FODMAPS stands for Fermentable Oligo-, Di- and Mono-saccharides And Polyols. Specifically, some of the dietary carbohydrates described by the term FODMAPS are lactose, fructose, fructans, polyols and galactans. These are sugars, starches and fibers in food that some people cannot fully digest and absorb.

The FODMAPS Elimination Diet is not meant to be a weight loss diet. The word "diet" is used here in a more general sense, to describe the array of foods that you are consuming. If you would benefit from gaining or losing weight, you may be much more successful achieving your goals after you have used the FODMAPS Elimination Diet to identify the foods that you can tolerate well.
IBS: Free at Last! Change Your Carbs, Change Your Life with the FODMAP Elimination Diet, 2nd Edition

IBS should not make you skip a beat—get your groove back! Tired of missing the fun because of your irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)? Confused about what to eat? Think you’re the only one who feels...

Continue Learning about Special Diets

Does Being Vegetarian Cause Kidney Stones?
Are you thinking about becoming a vegetarian to support your good health. Along with eating more vegetables, should you be more concerned about develo...
What should I know before I try a raw food diet?
Rose ReismanRose Reisman
The raw food diet originating in the 70’s is making a comeback in gourmet restaurants, upscale food ...
Is taking the Gerson diet a good option for weight loss?
dotFITdotFIT
It can certainly lead to weight loss because it’s basically a low-calorie diet disguised by marketin...
How Effective Is the HCG Diet for Weight Loss?