How can I start eating a low-sodium diet?

Judy Caplan

First step is to remove the saltshaker from the table. Next avoid the obvious salty foods like chips, soy sauce, canned fish, canned soups, bread, and certain cheeses. Increase your intake of fresh fruits and vegetables, healthy fats, and lean proteins. Avoid packaged, processed foods. Diet sodas also contain sodium. Fried foods often contain large amounts of sodium, as does Chinese and Japanese food. Most restaurant food is over salted. Cook more from scratch, read labels, and limit sodium to less than 2000 mg. per day.

Toby Smithson

The 2010 Dietary Guidelines recommend 2300 milligrams sodium/day for the general population and 1500 milligrams for people aged 51 and older, all African Americans, and people with diabetes, or high blood pressure or kidney disease. Best tips for starting to eat a lower sodium diet are:

• Purchase whole foods such as fresh fruits and vegetables
  • Cook at home more often than eating out to help control the sodium in your food
  • When you dine out, request lower sodium options (such as eliminating the sodium used in cooking)
  • Choose no added salt varieties of canned soups and vegetables
  • Compare food labels at the grocery store and choose the comparison food with the lower sodium level

Continue Learning about Special Diets

What protein foods should I avoid on the FODMAP elimination diet?
Patsy CatsosPatsy Catsos
The FODMAPS elimination diet is based on limiting "FODMAPS" in the diet. FODMAPS stands for Fermenta...
Who is the FODMAP elimination diet safe for?
Patsy CatsosPatsy Catsos
What fruit can I eat on the FODMAP elimination diet?
Patsy CatsosPatsy Catsos
Is the FODMAP elimination diet for weight loss?
Patsy CatsosPatsy Catsos