How can I get low-fat dairy in my diet?

Tips for meeting your target include the following:
  • Use low-fat milk or soy milk on whole grain cereals.
  • Choose enriched soy milks and other milk substitutes. For example, many soy milk brands are enriched with calcium, vitamin A, and vitamin D. Drink it plain, on cereal, or as a milk substitute in any recipe.
  • Give yourself time to adjust to the taste of low-fat milk or soy milk. With time, most people come to enjoy these heart-healthy alternatives just as much as the “originals.”
  • Watch out for nondairy whipped toppings and coffee creamers. These often contain a lot of saturated fat. Check the labels, and keep an eye out for low-fat or fat-free toppings and creamers.
  • Try powdered milk. It usually comes in low-fat varieties and is easy to prepare and store. Adding 1 cup powdered milk to a ½-gallon carton of skim milk makes it taste richer.
Choosing low-fat dairy foods is one of the most effective ways to cut calories. Start by looking at the dairy foods you already eat and finding lower-fat alternatives. Do you have whole or 2% milk at home? Switch to 1% or fat-free. Similarly, look for nonfat or low-fat yogurt, part-skim ricotta, and low-fat or fat-free sour cream. There's no need to switch entirely to fat-free dairy foods. Instead, find the right balance for you.

Continue Learning about Special Diets

The Truth About Radon Testing and Fad Diets
Q: What is radon? We’re looking to buy a house and hear I should know about it. — Jeremy K., Minneapolis, MN A: You heard right, Jeremy. Radon is a n...
Should I eat a European diet?
Nutritionists often recommend certain European dietary customs to people who are looking to impr...
How do I plan a FODMAP elimination diet challenge?
Patsy CatsosPatsy Catsos
The FODMAPS elimination diet is based on limiting "FODMAPS" in the diet. FODMAPS stands for Fermenta...
How Effective Is the HCG Diet for Weight Loss?