How can I limit my protein intake when eating out and on a kidney diet?

If your doctor has told you to limit protein in your diet, it is helpful to become familiar with different meat portions by practicing weighing them at home. You may want to request half-portions of meat dishes, share a part of your large portion with a dining companion, order a child's portion or ask for a doggie bag.

Another good way to control protein is by ordering à la carte. You may choose to make your meal from several appetizers instead of the typical complete dinner menu offerings.                                                                                   

Note: Patients on dialysis do not need to limit protein.

Continue Learning about Special Diets

Why So Many People Are Going Gluten-Free—Should You?
If you've ever polished off a fresh baguette or fought over that last slice of deep-dish pizza, you've eaten gluten. It's the healthy plant protein fo...
How can a gluten-free diet help me lose weight?
Dr. Deb Kennedy, PhDDr. Deb Kennedy, PhD
A gluten-free diet is not designed to help one lose weight. In fact it is a very restrictive diet, u...
What are clear liquids?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
Clear liquids are edible substances that are liquid at room temperature and the liquid is transparen...
Do Probiotics Have Any Side Effects?
Do Probiotics Have Any Side Effects?