How can I limit my protein intake when eating out and on a kidney diet?

If your doctor has told you to limit protein in your diet, it is helpful to become familiar with different meat portions by practicing weighing them at home. You may want to request half-portions of meat dishes, share a part of your large portion with a dining companion, order a child's portion or ask for a doggie bag.

Another good way to control protein is by ordering à la carte. You may choose to make your meal from several appetizers instead of the typical complete dinner menu offerings.                                                                                   

Note: Patients on dialysis do not need to limit protein.

Continue Learning about Special Diets

Flex Your Flexitarian Muscles
Flex Your Flexitarian Muscles
Worldwide, vegetarians overwhelmingly outnumber meat-eaters! According to a study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, around 4 billion folk...
Is taking the Gerson diet a good option for weight loss?
dotFITdotFIT
It can certainly lead to weight loss because it’s basically a low-calorie diet disguised by marketin...
Who is the FODMAP elimination diet safe for?
Patsy CatsosPatsy Catsos
The FODMAPS elimination diet is based on limiting "FODMAPS" in the diet. FODMAPS stands for Fermenta...
Are Probiotics a New Treatment for Irritable Bowel Syndrome?