How do I know if food is gluten-free?

If you're on a gluten-free diet, always be sure to check nutrition labels for gluten-containing ingredients and additives.

Don't forget that ingredients in food products change frequently, so always check before you buy something. There are many additives and ingredients that are wheat, rye or barley-based.

If something is labeled "wheat-free" it is not always "gluten-free." While the product may not contain wheat, it may still contain rye or barley.

If you have any question about whether or not something contains gluten, call the manufacturer and ask directly.
Dr. Mark Hyman, MD
Family Medicine
The best way to know if a food is gluten-free is to eat natural foods that are not packaged or processed. In this video, I will give some recommendations and shares tips for how to spot gluten on food labels.

Continue Learning about Special Diets

Why So Many People Are Going Gluten-Free—Should You?
If you've ever polished off a fresh baguette or fought over that last slice of deep-dish pizza, you've eaten gluten. It's the healthy plant protein fo...
Why should I avoid eating a large amount of beans on a FODMAP challenge?
Patsy CatsosPatsy Catsos
The FODMAPS elimination diet is based on limiting "FODMAPS" in the diet. FODMAPS stands for Fermenta...
Do detox diets work?
Laura Vanderbeck , NASM Elite TrainerLaura Vanderbeck , NASM Elite Trainer
I have tried an all-natural detox that is only a week long. As the doctor stated above, it isn't a t...
Do Probiotics Have Any Side Effects?
Do Probiotics Have Any Side Effects?