How healthy are gluten-free diets?

A gluten-free diet can be unhealthy because eliminating gluten could result in nutritional deficiencies.  Gluten by itself doesn’t have many health benefits, but foods that contain gluten -- such as whole grains -- tend to be higher in fiber and contain a good amount of vitamin B, zinc and iron. 

Going gluten-free without actually consulting with your doctor or dietitian to determine if your body needs it is not a good idea. People with celiac disease often meet with a nutritionist to make sure their diets are appropriate.

Continue Learning about Special Diets

Boost Your Brain Health: The MIND Diet
Boost Your Brain Health: The MIND Diet
Craig Breslow, dubbed “the smartest man in baseball,” pitched for seven MLB teams, including the Cleveland Indians in 2008. That was after he attended...
Do Probiotics Have Any Side Effects?
Do Probiotics Have Any Side Effects?
How Do I Treat Gas and Bloating If I Have Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
How Effective Is the HCG Diet for Weight Loss?