How can I avoid gluten in my diet?

If you think you may be intolerant to gluten, here’s are some ways to avoid it.
  1. Read all food labels before consuming the food. Manufacturers are required to list wheat as an allergen. Avoid all foods that list it on the label.
  2. Emphasize whole foods that do not come from a box. Beans, rice and corn are great grain/carb sources that are gluten free. However, boxed products often sprinkle in a little bit of wheat on these dry products to keep these otherwise gluten-free grains from clumping. Choose bagged or bulk foods to reduce the chances of getting unwanted gluten.
  3. Emphasize soy products. Soy protein powders, tofu and soybean sources such as edamame are typically gluten free because producers know that people often turn to soy as a substitute for both meat and wheat. Nevertheless, read labels to make certain. Recent research has found that di- and tripeptides from soy protein helps reduce inflammation, making soy protein a preferred source for gluten-intolerant people.
  4. Seek out gluten-free supplements. Many supplements have gluten in them, including protein products. If it doesn’t say “gluten free” on the label, you can’t be certain that it doesn’t contain this type of protein. Emphasize gluten-free products so you have a better understanding of what you’re actually consuming.
  5. Emphasize whole foods. If you want to stay fit and healthy, then you should derive most of your whole-food calories from meats, dairy, vegetables and fruits. They’re very unlikely to contain gluten, and they’re very likely to help you maximize your training.
  6. Nuts and seeds are also good. They’re naturally gluten free. But sometimes manufacturers add wheat/gluten to prevent them from sticking together. Read the label just in case.

Continue Learning about Special Diets

Your Guide to Intermittent Fasting
Your Guide to Intermittent Fasting
You may opt for one fad diet or another—Paleo, Keto, Alkaline (Tom Brady’s) or Carb Cycling—but none of them take into account an essential truth abou...
How can I tell if a fad diet is unhealthy?
The Food and Nutrition Science Alliance gives good advice on how to spot a bad diet fad: If it s...
Who is the FODMAP elimination diet safe for?
Patsy CatsosPatsy Catsos
The FODMAPS elimination diet is based on limiting "FODMAPS" in the diet. FODMAPS stands for Fermenta...
Do Probiotics Have Any Side Effects?
Do Probiotics Have Any Side Effects?