How can an elimination diet help reduce pain?

Howard S. Smith
Pain Medicine
There is increasing proof that an elimination diet is most helpful in isolating and identifying pain triggers. With this diet, you eliminate the most common foods that may trigger a pain reaction for two weeks. When your pain symptoms subside, you slowly reintroduce these foods -- one at a time -- to see which ones might trigger symptoms. Some of the most common foods you will eliminate at first may include: milk, wheat, corn, citrus, berries, eggs, fish, peanuts, tomato, yeast, soybean, carob, chocolate, colas, coffee, tea, beans, and peas. The elimination diet usually allows fresh poultry, fresh meats, most vegetables, most fruits, rice cereals, and water. After the two-week period, reintroduce the foods, one at a time. If you have no reaction with the introduced food, then you can eat this food again in slightly larger amounts. If there is no change in symptoms and you can tolerate the food, reintroduce another food. If you feel more pain, stop the new food immediately until the symptoms clear. Use the food elimination diet under the careful supervision of a physician and/or licensed nutritionist to make sure you get adequate nutrition.

Continue Learning about Special Diets

How a Vegetarian Diet Can Affect Your Mental Health
In My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Toula brings her non-Greek fiance Ian to a family get-together, hoping her tight-knit clan will accept him. When Aunt Vou...
What proteins should I include in an anti-inflammatory diet?
Rachel BegunRachel Begun
The best sources of protein for an anti-inflammatory diet include:plant-based proteins from beans, n...
What protein foods should I avoid on the FODMAP elimination diet?
Patsy CatsosPatsy Catsos
The FODMAPS elimination diet is based on limiting "FODMAPS" in the diet. FODMAPS stands for Fermenta...
Do Probiotics Have Any Side Effects?
Do Probiotics Have Any Side Effects?