How can an elimination diet help reduce pain?

Howard S. Smith
Pain Medicine
There is increasing proof that an elimination diet is most helpful in isolating and identifying pain triggers. With this diet, you eliminate the most common foods that may trigger a pain reaction for two weeks. When your pain symptoms subside, you slowly reintroduce these foods -- one at a time -- to see which ones might trigger symptoms. Some of the most common foods you will eliminate at first may include: milk, wheat, corn, citrus, berries, eggs, fish, peanuts, tomato, yeast, soybean, carob, chocolate, colas, coffee, tea, beans, and peas. The elimination diet usually allows fresh poultry, fresh meats, most vegetables, most fruits, rice cereals, and water. After the two-week period, reintroduce the foods, one at a time. If you have no reaction with the introduced food, then you can eat this food again in slightly larger amounts. If there is no change in symptoms and you can tolerate the food, reintroduce another food. If you feel more pain, stop the new food immediately until the symptoms clear. Use the food elimination diet under the careful supervision of a physician and/or licensed nutritionist to make sure you get adequate nutrition.

Continue Learning about Special Diets

Designing a Healthy Gluten-Free Diet
Designing a Healthy Gluten-Free Diet
Amazon.com lists more than 15,000 entries for books on going gluten-free (GF). Clearly GF is a major dietary trend. But before you switch to a GF diet...
What are the health benefits of a living food diet?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
In a study published in the journal, Toxicology, researchers sought to see if a living food (LF) die...
How will I feel on a detox diet?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
In the process of making over your body chemistry with a healthful diet, it is not unusual to fe...
How Do I Treat Gas and Bloating If I Have Irritable Bowel Syndrome?