Does the cleansing diet work?

Jennifer Shaw
Usually any effects you see come from what was removed, such as high fat or high sodium options, and on an overall reduction in calories, and not from any actual "cleansing" that's going on. The body has plenty of systems in place to naturally get rid of toxins, so there's nothing you need to do yourself to detox yourself. Many cleansing programs out there can actually end up causing nutrient deficiencies if they're followed for an extended period of time since they can be so restrictive. You can get the same effects by trying to eat more fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins, and by cutting down on processed foods high in fat, sodium, and sugar. 
Rebekah Pizana
Yes it does, but only if you stick to the diet. It may work for short-term weight loss, but it is best used to jumpstart a lifestyle change. I had severe anemia last year, due to little B-12 and iron in my diet through my college years. I didn't need to lose weight, but I was encouraged by my doctor to do a cleanse and change my diet. The cleanse prepared my body for the dietary changes and I felt revitalized. I now do a cleanse at least once a month. I either order cleanse products from www.isagenix.com (my profile is rmpizana.isagenix.com) or, I will do the lemon juice and cayenne cleanse over a weekend if I don't have much time to think about it.

Continue Learning about Special Diets

A Vegetarian Diet’s Hidden Gifts and Super Traps
If you think switching to a no-meat diet will take pounds off quicker than Gypsy Rose Lee shed her costume (about which she said -- “I wasn’t naked, I...
Who is the FODMAP elimination diet safe for?
Patsy CatsosPatsy Catsos
The FODMAPS elimination diet is based on limiting "FODMAPS" in the diet. FODMAPS stands for Fermenta...
How can I limit my protein intake when eating out and on a kidney diet?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
If your doctor has told you to limit protein in your diet, it is helpful to become familiar with dif...
Are Probiotics a New Treatment for Irritable Bowel Syndrome?