Do detox diets work?

It takes a lot longer than a week for the liver to remold itself and recover from chronic injury, and studies repeatedly fail to show a benefit from short term "detox" diets.

The way that they can be beneficial? They re-boot your taste buds and cleanse your intestines so you can return to food free of allergies and with a heightened appreciation of the simple and beautiful real foods.

Processed foods wreak havoc on the liver, which has no way to understand how to metabolize them-except to treat them like toxins themselves.

Continue Learning about Special Diets

How does a low salt diet affect sense of taste?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
When you get rid of the salt habit, your food may taste bland for a few weeks, but you will find tha...
What is the 28-Day Diet?
Michelle Carlson, NASM Elite TrainerMichelle Carlson, NASM Elite Trainer
Every "diet" seems to have a 28 day promise to it these days! 28 day diets (no matter which plan) wo...
What should I know before I try a wheat-free diet?
William Davis, MDWilliam Davis, MD
Before you start a wheat-free diet, it's important to know that you will experience some unpleasant ...
What is a living food diet?
Howard S. SmithHoward S. Smith
A living food (LF) diet is an uncooked vegan diet, consisting of fruits, vegetables and roots, berri...