Can I skip my phosphate binders if I'm eating out and on a kidney diet?

Eating out is a great way to take a break from cooking if you are on a kidney diet; however, it should not be used as an excuse for skipping your phosphate binders. To achieve good control of your phosphorus level, which is so important for maintaining healthy bones, you need to take your phosphate binder each time you eat. With a little planning, this doesn't have to be a problem.

Plan to take your medication with you. For women carrying a large purse, this may be as easy as dropping the bottle into your purse. However, more than likely, you will prefer to take along a small container with just the pills you need. A variety of pill boxes are available that slip easily into a pocket or small purse. If you are taking a liquid phosphate binder that might be difficult to carry, ask your doctor about prescribing a pill form to take with you when going out to eat.

Continue Learning about Special Diets

Flex Your Flexitarian Muscles
Flex Your Flexitarian Muscles
Worldwide, vegetarians overwhelmingly outnumber meat-eaters! According to a study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, around 4 billion folk...
What side dishes can I order when eating out and on a kidney diet?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
If you're on a kidney diet and eating out, the type of side dish you should order depends on the amo...
How can I limit my protein intake when eating out and on a kidney diet?
If your doctor has told you to limit protein in your diet, it is helpful to become familiar with dif...
How Do I Treat Gas and Bloating If I Have Irritable Bowel Syndrome?