Can I skip my phosphate binders if I'm eating out and on a kidney diet?

Eating out is a great way to take a break from cooking if you are on a kidney diet; however, it should not be used as an excuse for skipping your phosphate binders. To achieve good control of your phosphorus level, which is so important for maintaining healthy bones, you need to take your phosphate binder each time you eat. With a little planning, this doesn't have to be a problem.

Plan to take your medication with you. For women carrying a large purse, this may be as easy as dropping the bottle into your purse. However, more than likely, you will prefer to take along a small container with just the pills you need. A variety of pill boxes are available that slip easily into a pocket or small purse. If you are taking a liquid phosphate binder that might be difficult to carry, ask your doctor about prescribing a pill form to take with you when going out to eat.

Continue Learning about Special Diets

Vegan Diet Deficiencies
Vegan Diet Deficiencies
When two-time Grammy winner Jason Mraz sings I Won’t Give Up, he might be crooning about his steadfast commitment to a vegan lifestyle. He grows flats...
Are gluten-free food products healthier than wheat products?
Nancee Jaffe, RDNancee Jaffe, RD
Gluten-free food products may not be healthier than wheat products. B vitamins and iron are stripped...
Do I need to plan ahead if I want to eat out and am on a special diet?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Always try to follow your diet as closely as possible. Plan ahead. Ask your dietitian for advice bef...
How Effective Is the HCG Diet for Weight Loss?