Can the hormone diet harm my metabolism?

The hormone diet promises to help you lose weight quickly. While many claim it works, it has a potentially damaging effect on your metabolism.

The diet is based on the properties of HCG, or human chorionic gonadatropin. This hormone is produced during pregnancy, so pregnant women can use the right kind of fat when burning off calories.

The HCG diet pills contain small doses of HCG to help your body tap into stored fat and burn it off. They also suppress your appetite so you can consume as little as 500 calories a day. Initially, this diet may help you rapidly drop pounds. Ultimately, it destroys your metabolism, as you are essentially starving yourself. Another negative side effect is the loss of muscle mass, so much that you will no longer be able to effectively burn calories.

If you’re looking to naturally suppress your appetite, Dr. Oz recommends using the four Fs: fiber, fish, fowl and good fats like walnuts and flaxseed.

Continue Learning about Special Diets

Flex Your Flexitarian Muscles
Flex Your Flexitarian Muscles
Worldwide, vegetarians overwhelmingly outnumber meat-eaters! According to a study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, around 4 billion folk...
How do I do a cleansing detox?
Kathy Freston, author of The Quantum Wellness Cleanse, suggests doing a "cleanse" once or twice a ye...
What appetizers can I order when eating out and on a kidney diet?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
If you're eating out and on a kidney diet, it is probably best to skip appetizers unless you are goi...
How Is Irritable Bowel Syndrome Treated?