Can the hormone diet harm my metabolism?

The hormone diet promises to help you lose weight quickly. While many claim it works, it has a potentially damaging effect on your metabolism.

The diet is based on the properties of HCG, or human chorionic gonadatropin. This hormone is produced during pregnancy, so pregnant women can use the right kind of fat when burning off calories.

The HCG diet pills contain small doses of HCG to help your body tap into stored fat and burn it off. They also suppress your appetite so you can consume as little as 500 calories a day. Initially, this diet may help you rapidly drop pounds. Ultimately, it destroys your metabolism, as you are essentially starving yourself. Another negative side effect is the loss of muscle mass, so much that you will no longer be able to effectively burn calories.

If you’re looking to naturally suppress your appetite, Dr. Oz recommends using the four Fs: fiber, fish, fowl and good fats like walnuts and flaxseed.

Continue Learning about Special Diets

How should I plan my diet if I'm using the glycemic index (GI)?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
The following are things to consider when using the glycemic index (GI):The GI value represents th...
What should an anti-inflammatory diet include?
Doreen RodoDoreen Rodo
An anti-inflammatory diet should include, but is not limited to the following: Fruits, vegetables, b...
Is there a good diet to enhance strength and endurance?
Training for increased muscle strength requires adequate carbohydrate for energy production, ade...
How Is Irritable Bowel Syndrome Treated?