How can I adopt a gluten-free diet?

You might want to visit health-food stores more often, since these carry many gluten-free foods. In a regular grocery store, safe foods for people who can't digest gluten tend to be located along the perimeter: fresh fruits and vegetables, unprocessed meats, fresh seafood, milk, eggs, yogurt, butter and unprocessed cheese. Other safe foods include clear soups, packaged fruits and vegetables, plain nuts, unflavored potato chips, popcorn and sugar. All grains aren't forbidden, by the way. You can enjoy those that are naturally gluten-free, such as corn, quinoa, rice, soy and potato flour. When dining out, be prepared to talk to the wait staff or someone from the kitchen about which ingredients are OK and where substitutions are needed. But take heart: An increasing number of restaurants cater solely to people with celiac disease.

Continue Learning about Special Diets

A Vegetarian Diet’s Hidden Gifts and Super Traps
If you think switching to a no-meat diet will take pounds off quicker than Gypsy Rose Lee shed her costume (about which she said -- “I wasn’t naked, I...
What fruit products should I avoid on the FODMAP elimination diet?
Patsy CatsosPatsy Catsos
The FODMAPS elimination diet is based on limiting "FODMAPS" in the diet. FODMAPS stands for Fermenta...
What are the benefits of part-time diets?
It's a dieter's dream: you don't have to restrict calories or carbs every day to see results! Eat fe...
What appetizers can I order when eating out and on a kidney diet?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
If you're eating out and on a kidney diet, it is probably best to skip appetizers unless you are goi...