Can soy supplements help treat menopausal symptoms?

The impact of soy supplements on menopausal symptoms is still a matter of debate. Although there’s some evidence that soy may treat hot flashes, study results have been mixed, according to the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. There’s also no conclusive evidence that the supplement can soothe the sleep difficulties or mood swings that also often accompany menopause.
It's true that soy products do contain more than 50 estrogen-like substances (phytoestrogens) that can influence the three estrogen receptors for uterine and breast health, bone strength, and artery stabilization. So it would seem to make sense: Pop a few more hunks of tofu, and you can turn back hormonal time.

But here's the deal: Soy is as unpredictable as a morning DJ's mouth. That's because things such as the soil in which the product grows can influence those levels of phytoestrogens, meaning that there's really no way of knowing whether you're reaping benefits or not (or risking problems if you're a woman with an estrogen-responsive breast cancer).

Many studies in which soy supplements were used to treat menopausal symptoms have proved inconclusive. But that doesn't mean you ought to strike soy from your diet; getting soy through foods is a healthy idea for a number of reasons.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...

Continue Learning about Soy

How much soy should I be getting each day?
Like all foods, you want to consume soy in moderation. One to two servings of whole and fermente...
Why is soy hard to digest?
Margaret FloydMargaret Floyd
Soy is one of the most difficult legumes to digest, as it has powerful enzyme inhibitors. Enzyme...
Should I avoid soy if I take thyroid medication?
Soy may be dangerous for those who have an existing thyroid problem and take medications for the...
Can Eating Soy Raise My Risk of Breast Cancer?