Are daily soy protein supplements for women over 40 recommended?

Elizabeth Casparro, MPH,RD

It depends on what the intention is for the use of soy. If it is to reduce post-menopausal symptoms, many studies have shown inconclusive evidence that it helps reduce them (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15458907). However, if it is simply to increase dietary protein, there may be a need for it. If a woman over 40 has a difficult time intaking enough protein (which is generally around 5-7 ounces or 46 grams per day depending on activity level), then she would be justified in taking a supplement. However, if she can attain it through regular foods (which I highly recommend) such as meat, nuts and beans, then she should not need a protein supplement.

Continue Learning about Soy

Can soy supplements help treat menopausal symptoms?
The impact of soy supplements on menopausal symptoms is still a matter of debate. Although there...
How do I know if a food contains soy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Labels on foods must indicate if the food has soy in it. However, you still need to know how to read...
What ingredients contain soy?
Check the food ingredient list for soy on all products you buy. All the things below contain soy: ...
Can Eating Soy Raise My Risk of Breast Cancer?