What is superficial somatic pain?

Somatic pain refers to pain that occurs in the outer layers of the body, such as the skin and muscles. While superficial somatic pain refers to pain in the skin, deep somatic pain refers to pain that a person might feel in muscles or bone. Superficial somatic pain is usually confined to one area and often described as sharp or burning. Superficial somatic pain is also known as cutaneous pain.

Continue Learning about Somatic Pain

How do I manage my deep somatic pain on a daily basis?
Most deep somatic pain can be relieved or reduced using current treatment options. Daily medications...
Does deep somatic pain affect children differently than adults?
Children are sometimes unable to express or describe their pain, and this may make the diagnosis and...
Is there a cure for deep somatic pain?
Whether or not deep somatic pain can be cured is dependent upon the cause of it. A lot of deep somat...
How do other illnesses affect deep somatic pain?
Deep somatic pain is often the result of other illness, and its intensity can be based on what that ...