How does superficial somatic pain affect the body?

Superficial somatic pain must get from the site of an injury or illness to your brain in order for you to react. This is the job of the nervous system. When an injury happens, a structure in your skin called a nociceptor (pain receptor) is activated, and an electrical message is created. This message is passed from the pain receptor, to nerves in the area of the injury, to the spinal cord, and finally to the brain. Your brain then senses the pain so you can react.

Continue Learning about Somatic Pain

Is there a cure for deep somatic pain?
Whether or not deep somatic pain can be cured is dependent upon the cause of it. A lot of deep somat...
Should I talk to my doctor about my deep somatic pain?
When deciding if you should see your doctor about your deep somatic pain, remember that this pain ca...
Why is superficial somatic pain also called cutaneous pain?
Superficial somatic pain is caused by stimulation of structures in the skin that sense pain (pain re...
Can superficial somatic pain be prevented?
Superficial somatic pain is usually associated with an injury or illness. With this in mind, to prev...