How does superficial somatic pain affect the body?

Superficial somatic pain must get from the site of an injury or illness to your brain in order for you to react. This is the job of the nervous system. When an injury happens, a structure in your skin called a nociceptor (pain receptor) is activated, and an electrical message is created. This message is passed from the pain receptor, to nerves in the area of the injury, to the spinal cord, and finally to the brain. Your brain then senses the pain so you can react.

Continue Learning about Somatic Pain

What are somatic pains?
Some pains come from the outer body. These are called somatic pains. Fibromyalgia and chronic back p...
How many people have superficial somatic pain?
There are many causes of superficial somatic pain, and therefore, large numbers of people have it. I...
How do medications treat superficial somatic pain?
There are many medications that are used to treat pain. Some of these, like aspirin and ibuprofen, a...
Should I talk to my doctor about my superficial somatic pain?
If you cannot find the source of your superficial somatic pain, you should talk to your doctor about...