How do medications treat deep somatic pain?

There are many medications that are used to treat deep somatic pain. Some of these, like aspirin and ibuprofen, are over-the-counter medications. You do not need a prescription to buy them, and they are usually effective for relieving less severe pain. Others, like morphine, are used to treat severe pain, and it is necessary to have a prescription from your doctor to buy them. Most painkillers work by interfering with pain signals going to the brain. Some medications, like ibuprofen, also help relieve pain by reducing the redness and swelling that often comes with an injury.

Continue Learning about Somatic Pain

How is superficial somatic pain diagnosed?
Doctors evaluate superficial somatic pain using a combination of questions, physical examination, an...
Should I talk to my doctor about my deep somatic pain?
When deciding if you should see your doctor about your deep somatic pain, remember that this pain ca...
How does superficial somatic pain affect the body?
Superficial somatic pain must get from the site of an injury or illness to your brain in order for y...
What are the symptoms of superficial somatic pain?
Superficial somatic pain is pain that begins in the skin. Immediately following the injury that caus...