How do medications treat deep somatic pain?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

There are many medications that are used to treat deep somatic pain. Some of these, like aspirin and ibuprofen, are over-the-counter medications. You do not need a prescription to buy them, and they are usually effective for relieving less severe pain. Others, like morphine, are used to treat severe pain, and it is necessary to have a prescription from your doctor to buy them. Most painkillers work by interfering with pain signals going to the brain. Some medications, like ibuprofen, also help relieve pain by reducing the redness and swelling that often comes with an injury.

Continue Learning about Somatic Pain

What causes superficial somatic pain?
Superficial somatic pain occurs when structures that sense pain (pain receptors) are activated in th...
Should I talk to my doctor about my superficial somatic pain?
If you cannot find the source of your superficial somatic pain, you should talk to your doctor about...
Why is superficial somatic pain also called cutaneous pain?
Superficial somatic pain is caused by stimulation of structures in the skin that sense pain (pain re...
Why do I feel deep somatic pain when I exercise too much?
Deep somatic pain after exercise is usually due to the overuse of a muscle, or a group of muscles. R...