Is superficial somatic pain serious?

Superficial somatic pain is associated with the skin, and its seriousness depends on the cause of the pain. It is usually temporary and caused by minor injuries such as cuts and scrapes. Sometimes, however, superficial somatic pain can be a sign of more serious problems such as diabetes, infections, cancer, and nervous system disorders. Pain and its effects can be especially serious in older people. If the cause of superficial somatic pain is not clear, or the symptoms are troublesome, a medical professional should be consulted.

Continue Learning about Somatic Pain

How do I manage my deep somatic pain on a daily basis?
Most deep somatic pain can be relieved or reduced using current treatment options. Daily medications...
How does superficial somatic pain affect the body?
Superficial somatic pain must get from the site of an injury or illness to your brain in order for y...
Are there alternative treatments for deep somatic pain?
Alternative treatments for deep somatic pain do exist. Two such treatments are acupuncture and magne...
What are the treatment options for deep somatic pain?
Many treatment options are available for deep somatic pain, and determining which is best is usually...