How do other illnesses affect deep somatic pain?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Deep somatic pain is often the result of other illness, and its intensity can be based on what that illness is. Deep somatic pain is a large factor in illnesses such as cancer, bone disease, arthritis, and fibromyalgia. Other illness, such as diabetes, can cause physical pain to be less severe than it would be otherwise, thereby potentially hiding signs of serious underlying injury or disease.

Continue Learning about Somatic Pain

What are the treatment options for superficial somatic pain?
Many treatment options are available for pain (including superficial somatic pain), and determining ...
Should I talk to my doctor about my superficial somatic pain?
If you cannot find the source of your superficial somatic pain, you should talk to your doctor about...
How do medications treat deep somatic pain?
There are many medications that are used to treat deep somatic pain. Some of these, like aspirin and...
How many people have deep somatic pain?
There are many causes of deep somatic pain, and therefore, large numbers of people have it. It has b...