Does superficial somatic pain affect children differently than adults?

Children are sometimes unable to express or describe their physical pain, and this may make the diagnosis and treatment of it more difficult. Young children are also still learning how to respond to pain, which may cause differences among them in how the react to it. Assessment tools modified specially to diagnose pain level in children are now available to doctors to help with this task. Doctors are also more likely to avoid narcotic pain medications with children and tend to recommend pain medications such as acetaminophen

Continue Learning about Somatic Pain

Should I talk to my doctor about my deep somatic pain?
When deciding if you should see your doctor about your deep somatic pain, remember that this pain ca...
What causes superficial somatic pain?
Superficial somatic pain occurs when structures that sense pain (pain receptors) are activated in th...
Can a tick bite cause deep somatic pain?
Ticks can carry many diseases including Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain spotted fever. Some of these...
Can superficial somatic pain be prevented?
Superficial somatic pain is usually associated with an injury or illness. With this in mind, to prev...