Is deep somatic pain the same thing as visceral pain?

There are two types of somatic pain, cutaneous and deep. While cutaneous somatic pain affects the skin, deep somatic pain affects deeper structures like muscle, bones, and tendons. Visceral pain is a different type of pain from either of the somatic pains. Visceral pain is pain that comes from internal organs such as the lungs, liver, or intestine.

Continue Learning about Somatic Pain

How many people have deep somatic pain?
There are many causes of deep somatic pain, and therefore, large numbers of people have it. It has b...
How does superficial somatic pain affect the body?
Superficial somatic pain must get from the site of an injury or illness to your brain in order for y...
What are the symptoms of superficial somatic pain?
Superficial somatic pain is pain that begins in the skin. Immediately following the injury that caus...
Should I talk to my doctor about my superficial somatic pain?
If you cannot find the source of your superficial somatic pain, you should talk to your doctor about...