Is deep somatic pain the same thing as visceral pain?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

There are two types of somatic pain, cutaneous and deep. While cutaneous somatic pain affects the skin, deep somatic pain affects deeper structures like muscle, bones, and tendons. Visceral pain is a different type of pain from either of the somatic pains. Visceral pain is pain that comes from internal organs such as the lungs, liver, or intestine.

Continue Learning about Somatic Pain

What are the treatment options for superficial somatic pain?
Many treatment options are available for pain (including superficial somatic pain), and determining ...
Should I talk to my doctor about my superficial somatic pain?
If you cannot find the source of your superficial somatic pain, you should talk to your doctor about...
How many people have superficial somatic pain?
There are many causes of superficial somatic pain, and therefore, large numbers of people have it. I...
Is there a cure for superficial somatic pain?
Whether or not superficial somatic pain can be cured is dependent upon the cause of it. A lot of sup...