Why do I feel deep somatic pain when I exercise too much?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Deep somatic pain after exercise is usually due to the overuse of a muscle, or a group of muscles. Resting of the affected body part may be necessary to give it time to heal. You should see your doctor if the pain is still present after one week or if it worsens.

Continue Learning about Somatic Pain

What are the symptoms of superficial somatic pain?
Superficial somatic pain is pain that begins in the skin. Immediately following the injury that caus...
What causes superficial somatic pain?
Superficial somatic pain occurs when structures that sense pain (pain receptors) are activated in th...
How does deep somatic pain affect the body?
Deep somatic pain must get from the site of an injury or illness to your brain in order for you to r...
What are the treatment options for deep somatic pain?
Many treatment options are available for deep somatic pain, and determining which is best is usually...