Why can eating salt (sodium) raise blood pressure?

If you have high blood pressure or are at risk of developing it, your physician may recommend that you cut back on sodium in your diet. Because a high percentage of dietary sodium in the United States comes from processed foods, you will want to monitor your sodium intake by reading the Nutrition Facts panel on packaged foods. The label will tell you how much sodium is in the product. This is different from the amount of salt, because table salt (sodium chloride) is only one form of sodium, and the food you are considering may contain other forms of sodium, such as monosodium glutamate (MSG).

But how does sodium contribute to high blood pressure? Sodium causes water retention and can increase the volume of blood that is circulating through your body and the pressure against artery walls, which is your blood pressure. If this force is too high, it can damage the arteries and heart over time.

The good news is that eating a diet low in sodium helps lower blood pressure, and therefore, heart disease risk. The Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (or DASH) diet is a famous heart-healthy eating plan. It was developed for research to determine what combination of foods helps to lower blood pressure. The DASH diet is low in saturated fat and cholesterol, and high in fruits, vegetables, whole grains and low-fat dairy products. One part of the study compared various sodium levels to see if blood pressure was affected. The results were dramatic and showed that the lower the intake of sodium, the lower the blood pressures were for participants.
Eating salt, or sodium, can contribute to high blood pressure because it makes you to retain too much water. The extra water increases the amount of pressure inside your blood vessels, causing your blood pressure to rise. 

Continue Learning about Sodium

How much salt do I need per day?
Although sodium is a vital mineral for the proper functioning of your body, you don't need to worry ...
How can I reduce my sodium intake when dining out?
Emilia KlappEmilia Klapp
Start by asking the waiter or the cook to prepare the food with no salt or very little salt. Try the...
How can I flavor food if I'm on a low sodium diet?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
A low-sodium/salt diet does not mean giving up flavor. Learn to season your food with herbs and spic...
Which processed foods are the highest in sodium?
Emilia KlappEmilia Klapp
About 75% of the salt we eat daily comes from processed foods. Although some foods are advertised as...