Should I limit the salt in my diet?

Replace your salt shaker with a sodium-free alternative. We all know that hypertension can lead to heart problems, but new evidence suggests that decreasing the salt in your diet can also improve blood flow to the brain and decrease dementia.

Continue Learning about Sodium

How much salt should I eat?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
The dietary guidelines from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) say that it is okay for the ge...
How can reducing salt intake affect my blood pressure?
Reducing sodium in the diet can reduce systolic blood pressure (SBP) by about 1 to 5 mm Hg. The more...
Why is there so much salt in processed foods?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
It did not surprise me to read from an article in the New York Times that salt (or the lack ther...
Why is it so hard to eat less salt?
Eating less sodium, or salt, is a challenge. Foods that otherwise seem healthy may have high leve...