What is the unhealthy ingredient in minestrone soup?

Salt is the secret saboteur in minestrone soup. One bowlful can contain as much as 600 grams of sodium. That’s more than one-quarter of the recommended daily amount -- 2300 grams. The healthiest soups are from puréed vegetables, like butternut squash soup.

Continue Learning about Sodium

How can I reduce salt when I cook?
Emilia KlappEmilia Klapp
Use lemon juice, vinegar, herbs, and spices instead of salt. Try these other tips: In recipes, o...
What can I do if I'm addicted to salt?
If you salt every dish before you even taste it, you need a different way to bring out the flavor of...
Where does the salt in my diet come from?
Most of the sodium, or salt, we eat comes from processed foods and foods prepared in restaurants. So...
How do I buy low sodium foods?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Reducing sodium intake is an important step in maintaining a healthy blood pressure. When it com...