What is the role of sodium in the body?

James C. Bower Jr., MD
Sodium is a mineral that, together with potassium and calcium, regulates the body's water balance, maintains normal heart rhythm, and is responsible for nerve impulse conduction and muscle contraction. Excessive intake of sodium from food contributes to high blood pressure in some people. In people who already have high blood pressure, too much sodium may increase the risk of stroke, heart disease, and kidney damage.

Continue Learning about Sodium

What dried herbs can be used for a salt substitute?
dotFITdotFIT
All-natural herbs & spices like onion, black pepper, parsley & basil can be used as a salt substitut...
Why is there so much salt in processed foods?
Margaret FloydMargaret Floyd
One of the easiest ways to bring out the flavor in a dish is to add salt. You might have experie...
What Can I Do to Remove Extra Sodium from Capers?
Surprising Calorie Shockers
Surprising Calorie Shockers