What is the role of sodium in the body?

James C. Bower Jr., MD
Sodium is a mineral that, together with potassium and calcium, regulates the body's water balance, maintains normal heart rhythm, and is responsible for nerve impulse conduction and muscle contraction. Excessive intake of sodium from food contributes to high blood pressure in some people. In people who already have high blood pressure, too much sodium may increase the risk of stroke, heart disease, and kidney damage.

Continue Learning about Sodium

How can I cut down my consumption of salt?
Melissa Stinson, NPMelissa Stinson, NP
Sodium is added to many foods that are common in the American diet, so it can be difficult to avoid ...
What foods should I avoid if I'm on a low sodium diet?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Here is a list of foods that you should avoid if you are on a low sodium diet: Bread, cereals, an...
How to Eat Less Salt and Lower Your Stroke Risk
How Much Salt In the Diet Is Too Much?
How Much Salt In the Diet Is Too Much?