Is it safe to add salt to a sports drink?

Salt or sodium is required for most body functions and is lost through sweating during exercise. Sodium helps the body retain water to stay hydrated. Sodium also increases thirst, encouraging you to drink more. Most sports drinks already contain small to moderate amounts of sodium. Adding more sodium to a sports drink may also aid hydration during activity and recovery, but it might also alter the flavor.

If you have a medical condition, you should check with your doctor first before adding extra sodium to your diet or fluids.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Appalachian State University Athletic Training Education Program.)
You can add salt to a sports drink, but it may not taste very good! Sports drinks do not contain as much salt as your body loses through sweat, so more salt will help replace normal electrolyte loss and will help you prevent muscle cramps.

Continue Learning about Sodium

Does the salt in food affect the total number of calories?
Todd Townes - Sharecare Fitness ExpertTodd Townes - Sharecare Fitness Expert
Salt does not affect the total number of calories. In fact, salt has no calories at all. Consuming h...
How much salt should I eat per day for lower blood pressure?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Eating too much salt (which is 40% sodium) raises blood pressure while cutting back on salt lowe...
What Can I Do to Remove Extra Sodium from Capers?
Surprising Calorie Shockers
Surprising Calorie Shockers