How does eating too much salt affect health?

Joel H. Fuhrman, MD
Family Medicine
High sodium intake is predictive of increased death from heart attacks. A study of adults with prehypertension showed that over the 10 to 15 years that the individuals lowered their sodium intake by at least 25%, their risk of cardiovascular disease correspondingly fell 25%. The conclusion is that consuming a high amount of sodium will put you at greater risk for heart disease and shortened life. In another study, high sodium intake was predictive of coronary heart disease and mortality from heart attacks, independent of other risk factors, including blood pressure. This means that it is not just about raising blood pressure.

More and more direct evidence is emerging that salt is harmful to the heart in other ways. Salt also causes calcium and other trace minerals to be leached from your body, which is a contributory cause of osteoporosis. As excess salt is removed via the urine, other minerals such as calcium and magnesium accompany it and are lost as well.
Eat for Health: Lose Weight, Keep It Off, Look Younger, Live Longer (2 Volume Set)

Dr. Fuhrman's scientifically proven system, Eat For Health, enables you to finally conquer your cravings and food addictions, while steering your taste buds toward healthier food choices. Medical...

Continue Learning about Sodium

Why is there so much salt in processed foods?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
It did not surprise me to read from an article in the New York Times that salt (or the lack ther...
What foods contain sodium or salt?
Yeisel Barquin, MDYeisel Barquin, MD
Many of the everyday products we buy in stores and restaurants contain salt (sodium).  The bigges...
How can I reduce salt when I cook?
Emilia KlappEmilia Klapp
Use lemon juice, vinegar, herbs, and spices instead of salt. Try these other tips: In recipes, o...
Is it safe to add salt to a sports drink?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Salt or sodium is required for most body functions and is lost through sweating during exercise. Sod...