How much salt is it safe to eat each day?

Mark C. Houston, MD
It would be prudent to reduce salt intake to about 1500 to 2000 milligrams (mg) per day to reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases and avoid increases in blood pressure as well. In addition, increasing potassium in the diet to about 5000 mg per day will independently lower blood pressure, decrease stroke and heart disease, and mitigate the adverse effects of sodium chloride.

Continue Learning about Sodium

How can I help my family eat less salt?
Mary MullenMary Mullen
Here are a few ways you can help your family shake the salt habit: Prepare foods with less, and ev...
Should I take salt tablets?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Do not take salt tablets unless directed by your doctor. Heavy sweating removes salt and other elect...
Is It OK to Stop Worrying About Salt and High Blood Pressure?
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium