How can I reduce my sodium intake from canned beans?

Canned beans are often used in recipes rather than dry beans to save preparation time and for overall convenience. A few brands have reduced- or low-sodium versions of their canned beans. If these are not available in your area, draining and then rinsing canned beans is effective way to reduce the sodium content. This draining-rinsing treatment reduces sodium by about 40% so you can continue to include fiber- and nutrient-rich beans in your healthy eating plan.

Continue Learning about Sodium

How much salt is it safe to eat each day?
Mark C. Houston, MDMark C. Houston, MD
It would be prudent to reduce salt intake to about 1500 to 2000 milligrams (mg) per day to reduc...
How do I buy low sodium foods?
Vandana  R. ShethVandana R. Sheth
Buy fresh foods rather than processed to limit sodium. Fresh fruits, vegetables, fresh meats rather ...
How to Eat Less Salt and Lower Your Stroke Risk
Surprising Calorie Shockers
Surprising Calorie Shockers