How much sodium or salt is safe to eat?

Emilia Klapp

Although the standard recommendation for years has been no more than 2,400 mg per day (about one teaspoon of salt), new findings indicate that a lower intake packs a greater benefit. An intake of 1,500 mg per day produces the greatest reduction in high blood pressure when part of a diet low in cholesterol and saturated fat and high in fruits and vegetables. This measures out to two-thirds of a teaspoon of salt.

Authorities also say that hypertension, or high blood pressure, rarely occurs in countries in which people consume less than 1,000 mg of sodium per day. This measures out to about less than half a teaspoon of salt.

Continue Learning about Sodium

How much sodium should I eat at each meal?
Emilia KlappEmilia Klapp
A good rule of thumb is not to ingest more than 500 mg of sodium per meal. About 75% of the sodium w...
What are the main sources of sodium or salt in the American diet?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
Dietary sodium can raise blood pressure and research shows that high blood pressure increases the ri...
What Can I Do to Remove Extra Sodium from Capers?
How to Eat Less Salt and Lower Your Stroke Risk