How much salt should I eat?

Vandana  R. Sheth

The Dietary guidelines recommend ~2300 mg sodium/day for everyone and a limit of ~1500 mg/day sodium for anyone over the age of 51, or that has high blood pressure, diabetes, kidney disease. What does this mean? Just 1 tsp. of table salt provides ~2400 mg sodium! Consider using herbs, spices, citrus juices in place of salt to flavor foods while cutting back on salt.

Toby Smithson

A good guide to keep in mind is the guideline set by the 2010 Dietary Guidelines. The guidelines state Americans should keep their sodium level at 2300 milligrams per day and if you are 51 years of age or older, African American (any age), have diabetes, kidney disease or high blood pressure, than you should limit your sodium intake to 1500 milligrams per day. Remember sodium can be found in salt as well as food. About 70% of our sodium intake comes from prepared foods and restaurant foods.

Marisa Moore

The 2010 Dietary Guidelines provide a recommendation for daily sodium intake.

• The general healthy population should keep sodium to 2,300 mg per day or less.
  • If you are African American, age 51 or older, or already have high blood pressure, diabetes or kidney diseae you should keep sodium to less than 1,500 mg per day.

While these numbers seem large, just 1 tablespoon of table salt contains 2,325 mg of sodium; so it's very easy to overdo it.

Continue Learning about Sodium

What Can I Do to Remove Extra Sodium from Capers?
How to Eat Less Salt and Lower Your Stroke Risk
4 Ways to Cut Back on Sodium
4 Ways to Cut Back on Sodium
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium