How can I help my family eat less salt?

Mary Mullen
Here are a few ways you can help your family shake the salt habit:
  • Prepare foods with less, and eventually no, salt -- Your taste for salt will gradually decrease over time. Remember: when you cook at home, you control the ingredients.
  • Flavor foods with other herbs and spices instead of salt.
  • Check food labels for terms like “low sodium” or “sodium free.”
Healthy Eating, Healthy Weight for Kids and Teens

In a world of fast food, supersized sodas, and televised temptations, this guide shows how to buck the obesity trend currently in the national spotlight—and have fun doing it. Using a family...
Toby Smithson

The best way to cut back on the sodium intake for your whole family is to start by purchasing lower sodium products such as no added salt canned vegetables and canned soups. Fresh vegetables, fruit, whole grains and fresh meat are lower in sodium than some packaged foods. Swap out the salt shaker on the table with a blend of dried herbs. Preparing homemade recipes instead of eating out or using frozen TV dinners will also keep the sodium content lower in your family meals.

Continue Learning about Sodium

How can I reduce my sodium intake?
The easiest way to reduce your sodium intake is to decrease consumption of processed and prepackaged...
Should I limit the salt in my diet?
AARPAARP
Replace your salt shaker with a sodium-free alternative. We all know that hypertension can lead to h...
Surprising Calorie Shockers
Surprising Calorie Shockers
Is It OK to Stop Worrying About Salt and High Blood Pressure?