How common is salt sensitivity?

“Salt sensitivity” refers to how much a person’s blood pressure changes in response to changes in dietary sodium. Estimates of salt sensitivity in the population vary from about 10 to 30 percent of people with normal blood pressure and more than 50 percent of people with hypertension. Salt sensitivity is thought to be related to genetic factors, kidney function, race, age, body mass, fitness level and potassium intake, so prevalence likely changes over time as populations age, become more overweight or obese and more sedentary, and move away from potassium-rich diets.

Continue Learning about Sodium

How can lowering my salt intake benefit my heart health?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Reducing salt intake should lower cardiovascular disease. Certainly, our contemporary diet rich ...
How much sodium (salt) can I consume per day?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Reduce your sodium intake to 1,500 milligrams (mg) a day. The 2010 U.S. Dietary Guidelines recommend...
How Much Salt In the Diet Is Too Much?
How Much Salt In the Diet Is Too Much?
Surprising Calorie Shockers
Surprising Calorie Shockers